don't postpone joy

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

think

Did thousands of people die at the hands of Saddam Hussein?
Of course.
Will killing him bring any one of them back to life?
I challenge you to show me one dead person incarnated.
His execution will be no different than the killings he brought forth to those people. That was a terrible tragedy, I will not begrudge you that. But, don't you see how this just perpetuates that?
War is not the answer.
Killing is not the answer.
The answer lies in something we all have: language.
Just picture what your life would be like if you didn't worry about what people thought. If you told the absolute truth every day. If you took occurrences for face value, and attached no stories. And then, if you turned around and communicated what you REALLY want. How you REALLY feel. What if everyone did that.

Imagine
Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...
Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...
Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.
Writen by: John LennonĀ© Bag
productions inc.


... you know what happened to him...and all he was saying
was
give peace a chance.

4 Comments:

At 18 October, 2005 13:37, Blogger tom said...

Really?
The world is not that black and white. Saddam was a cruel dictator. No one suggests that a death penalty for him will bring others back to life or will, in any way, settle the score. It will not reall heal those who lost so much. However, we must have a system were people are called to account for such deeds to the extent possible. At some point, there are certain acts that a human can take whereby that person forfiets their right to live among us.
Let these victims at least have a record that recognizes the horrors they experienced and acknowleges the pain. His trial and possible penalty will not clean this sin, but there must be a record and accounting as best we can make.

 
At 18 October, 2005 13:38, Blogger Kurt said...

hey daisy, I think you have a very good sentiment expressed here. And I can see where "absolute truth" is so important to you, especially in light of yesterday's post.
I think that would have totally freaked me out, and I wonder if I would have the balls to tell them "hell no, I ain't calling. Here's the number, knock yourself out." My need for revenge may have taken over and I'd being looking for a way to apply the vice to the 'nads (so to speak).
But back to today's thought -
There are times when absolute truth can be more cruel than ambiguity. There are instances when an encouraging word is more uplifting than cold truth and I tend to go there more now as I get older.
Let's say someone asks my opinion of an act of kindness or charity they performed. But perhaps the reality (or my opinion) of the situation is that this was the worst move they could have made. I'd tend not to call them out on it, but instead praise the motivation behind the act and not address the action. Does that make sense?

 
At 19 October, 2005 08:41, Blogger daisyduke said...

I totally understand both of you.

What gets me about the possible execution of Saddam is the hate that motivates the punishment, not the consequence that occurs as a result of heinous acts he committed. I get it, totally. This seeps into the general population, as well. Our criminal justice system. where's the line? It's obvious an eye for an eye theory is not the cure all. And in your line of thought I follow. Sometimes in the circle of life these results occur. I don't know the answer. But doing the same thing that we've been doing for the past few thousand years, is only gonna get us more of what we've been getting.

And so, the "harmless" lie.
I don't always want to hear the truth. The truth isn't always the easiest lump for me to take; but it really does set me free. If I asked your opinion and you lied to me, telling me what you thought I wanted to hear, that wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen...but if I ask your opinion, maybe I really desire the truth, no matter how badly it hurts. I may even encourage you not to offer anything if you don't feel comfortable, but if I ASK you if my ass looks fat in these jeans, or if you like the newsletter for the organization, or even whether or not YOU think I should have slept with that guy or not, I'm asking you because I trust that you will give me honest input.

I also understand that every three people on the street are not in a place to have these conversations. Hell, I haven't always been in a place to have these conversations.

I was sitting here thinking about not even responding to your responses...just because I was wondering what you'd think of me.
Of course I care...but really, I love this interaction, and not responding wouldn't do anything to continue that, now would it???

Thank you gentlemen, you must know that I always look forward to hearing from you both...today is no exception.

 
At 20 October, 2005 09:56, Blogger Unknown said...

I believe that he will be executed..whether its wrong or right I have no idea..but its little pennace for what he did to all those citizens of Iraq.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home